Ask the Accounting Community

View Only
  • 1.  Staffing Metrics - Administrative overhead positions

Posted 03-04-2024 12:21 PM

Good morning, 

We are looking for potential metric/ratio to measure administrative headcount by department/region/division. One thought that we had may be useful would be comparing admin headcounts to something like a revenue metric like, number of units to really understand where we may be admin heavy against revenue and/or revenue growth. A couple of the answers/monitoring that we are attempting to do is manage administrative staffing levels to match company revenue/growth areas. What others has anyone used? We also want to drive departments to quantifying the need for additional headcount by demonstrating where the perceived/anticipated value will be for the particular role. 

------------------------------
    Cody Smith CMA
    Director/Manager
    Lafayette, LA

• 2.  RE: Staffing Metrics - Administrative overhead positions

Posted 03-05-2024 01:39 AM
    The Administrative overhead head count can be allocated to the service receiving segments by FTE basis based on actual time spent by each employee of Administrative positions. In case of dedicated resources of Administrative positions to a particular segment will be charged 100%.
    The cost of the administrative positions will be allocated to these segments based on FTE basis as worked out previously.
    The overall cost of administrative overhead allocated to the segment will be used as metrics : no.of units produced or sold or revenue generated as the case may be.
    Regards,
    Ravi kumar

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Staffing Metrics - Administrative overhead positions

Posted 03-06-2024 09:06 AM

Matthew,

I am looking at this from another perspective. I have been with a few fast growing midsize companies and justifying headcount on the administrative side is difficult. This is especially difficult when you need to upgrade a position to a higher skillset or add a higher level contributor/manager as the company outgrows the existing administrative infrastructure.  Merely looking at headcount is insufficient; it should also include an evaluation of cost per work center.

I run historical costs per department plus future period projections. Where I am at now, administrative headcount hadn't changed in about 13 years.  But revenue has quadrupled in that time. Plus we have layered in a number of other compliance requirements over this time.  Admin costs were at 0.89% of revenue 6 years ago; 1.50% of revenue 10 years ago. When I walked in, I immediately added another person and was still at 0.42% of revenue. This was just a stop-gap to get some things done.  We still need to add another person or two to be stable today. And I expect to add 3 more headcount, at various levels and departments, in the next few years as we double revenue again.  When using percent of revenue to evaluate administrative costs, it should not be a one to one measure. You should be able to gain economies of scale and take advantage of automation to offset headcount adds.  This will allow you to keep reducing the administrative cost as a percentage of revenue as you keep growing but you still have to add headcount to just get the basics done. Using percentage of revenue gives a metric for evaluation and benchmarking.  I also use this working with production and sales (sales per man hour & sales per man hour cost).

As this is one of my current pain points, I am happy to participate in any other discussions of evaluation options.

Ben Davis CMA, MBA
    CFO
    Tulsa OK
    United States

• 4.  RE: Staffing Metrics - Administrative overhead positions

Posted 03-06-2024 09:39 AM
    Hi Ben, 
    Thanks for your insight. My original thought was to look at this as a percentage of revenue like you explained but didn't want to back myself in a corner to being the only option as different departments support different aspects of the business even though the ultimate goal is revenue generation. I am really trying to understand other perspectives and tailor what we want to perform going forward to what works. Thanks again for your perspective, it is really helpful!
    Cody  

• 5.  RE: Staffing Metrics - Administrative overhead positions

Posted 03-05-2024 09:59 AM

Hi Matthew - Have you tried breaking the admin group into its functional teams? So maybe you could look at human resources staff relative to total staff, or relative to production staff. For your sales team, if they are principally customer service, maybe you could look at them relative to number of customer accounts. For your quality control team, maybe you could look at them relative to SKU's that are active. I think you might get more bang for your buck if you try to break the entire admin group into functional teams and then look at aspects of the business that may affect staffing levels.

Is this helpful?

Good luck!

Ron

Ronald DiMattia CMA, CPA
    Executive Officer
    Corporate Value Partners Inc
    Cleveland OH
    United States

• 6.  RE: Staffing Metrics - Administrative overhead positions

Posted 03-05-2024 10:09 AM
    Hi Ron - thanks for the recommendation! This is very helpful and provides a great perspective to those administrative staffing levels. Appreciate the input!
    Matthew