CMA Study Group

View Only

Passing score.

• 1.  Passing score.

Posted 11-02-2022 07:45 AM

Hi all ,
    hop you can answer my question,
    so let's assume you answered 50% of the MCQ correctly. And for the essay you scored 100% "zero mistakes " . Do you pass the the exam? 

based on my calculations of how they score (75% and 25%) you will still fail . 

any thoughts?

------------------------------
    Feras Al Salous
    Controller
    Cypress TX
    United States

• 2.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-03-2022 02:41 AM
    Hi,

What I know is that you need to score 50% of the total score which is 500 and not 50% of the score under MCQ, otherwise it will result in failure with the scenario you mentioned, plus with 50% of MCQ only will not be enough to proceed to the essay portion.

Thank you.

• 3.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-03-2022 05:09 PM
    i looked every where and it says 50% of the MCQ. where did you find the 50% of total score bc that will change everything

Feras Al Salous
    Controller
    Cypress TX
    United States

• 4.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-03-2022 11:53 PM
    Initially that was what I understood too like 50% of MCQ questions, but when I was searching for how to get the result and all I read it in this link:
    https://ipassthecmaexam.com/cma-exam-grading-result-dates/#:~:text=Following%20the%20exam%2C%20we'll,myIMA%E2%80%9D%20online%20transcript%2C%20too.

But There's a Catch

Now, in order to proceed to the essay section, we need to score 50% in the MCQ section. But note that 50% scoring is actually 250 marks (50% of 500 total scoring points) and not 188 points (which is 50% of 375 MCQ). This means we need to get a score of 66.67% (250 /375) on the MCQ section. Yes, it's a weighted score but we need to be keeping the same in mind"

Kei Mari Laroza
    Dubai
    United Arab Emirates

• 5.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-04-2022 12:15 AM
    Hi Kei,

I've read that too but it doesn't seem right. That link is the only place on the internet where I've heard that you need 50% of the whole test passed before you can move on to the essay section…doesn't seem right.

Abraham Artiles CPA
    Accountant
    Atlanta GA
    United States

• 6.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 01-16-2024 12:27 AM

I got 260 marks but didn't get the essay questions 

Aiswarya Biju
    None
    Kottayam
    India

• 7.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 01-17-2024 09:45 PM

I got 300 but still I have not went to easy type i have no idea about this can any one solve my query 

Deepika R
    Student
    Tiruchirappalli
    India

• 8.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-04-2022 12:13 AM
    But do let me know too, I found this article after my exam so I have no idea which is which.

Kei Mari Laroza

• 9.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-03-2022 03:00 AM
    Once you answer 50% of MCQ correct they will open the essay part, that doesn't mean that you pass the MCQ Part
    To pass the exam you have to answer around 70 MCQ + 100% Correct answers for the essay part

AMR ALHALAWANY
    Accountant
    Dhahran
    Saudi Arabia

• 10.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-03-2022 06:33 PM
    I'm not sure that's right. If you got 70% correct on the MCQ and 100% on the essay, you would get way more than 360 out of 500 points. In fact, if you ignore the difficulty weighting for the MCQ, that would give you 387.5 points total. (70% x 75% MCQ weight =.525   100% x 25% essay weight= .25 so [.525+.25=77.5% or 387.5 points]). The problem with using math to solve the odds of a passing score is that the IMA keeps their algorithm a secret. A passing 50% score For the MCQ part can be worth 220, 240, maybe even 270 points. Nobody knows. It all depends on how difficult your multiple choice questions were compared to the "average" test.

Abraham Artiles CPA
    Accountant
    Atlanta GA
    United States

• 11.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-03-2022 04:46 AM
    Hi All,

Please login to eduquz.com and join the group CMA to get answer to your question.

Thanks

• 12.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-03-2022 06:34 AM
    Hi Feras,

That depends on how hard your questions for the MCQ portion were. If you had the most difficult set of questions possible, then your MCQ section was weighted much heavier than an average exam and theoretically you should pass if you got the essay questions 100% correct. Otherwise the exam wouldn't let you move on to the essays. So it really depends on how difficult you believed the MCQ part was.

Abraham Artiles CPA
    Accountant
    Atlanta GA
    United States

• 13.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-06-2022 03:56 AM
    Hi Abraham,

I heard mcq has equal weightage. 100 mcq of 4 marks each and 2 essay qs of 50 marks each.

-Kirti

Kirti Sheth
    None
    SINGAPORE
    Singapore

• 14.  RE: Passing score.

Posted 11-06-2022 03:23 AM
    Hi

Last year I did Exam part 1 and I couldn't reach the essay questions but end up scoring 260 of 500, so there is different not clear criteria in scoring

Baraa Alkhatib
    Accountant
    DOHA
    Qatar