CMA Study Group

View Only
  • 1.  PART 2 INV TURNOVER RATIO

Posted 09-27-2022 12:06 PM
    Dear Friends,

In this question how can I calculet COGS? or is there any other way to reach inventory turn over??

The year-end financial statements for Queen Bikes reflect the data presented as follows. Ten percent of Queen's net sales are in cash.
    Year 1
    Year 2
    Year 3
    Net sales
    1,500 units at $100
    1,200 units at $100
    1,200 units at $125
    Ending inventory
    100 units at $50
    100 units at $50
    100 units at $50
    Average receivables
    $12,500
    $12,000
    $14,400
    Net income
    $18,750
    $  9,400
    $26,350
    Queen's inventory turnover ratios for Year 2 and Year 3 are

------------------------------
    TIMUCIN ONER
    Director/Manager
    ANTALYA
    Turkey

• 2.  RE: PART 2 INV TURNOVER RATIO

Posted 09-28-2022 01:12 AM

• 3.  RE: PART 2 INV TURNOVER RATIO

Posted 09-28-2022 05:12 AM
    Hi 

Can you please check the answers if it is 24 and 30

Br

Sudhir

• 4.  RE: PART 2 INV TURNOVER RATIO

Posted 09-29-2022 09:04 AM

Here they confused us with incomplete information for calculation of cost of goods sold.

For cost of goods sold we need purchase and beginning inventory we can't calculate cost of goods without purchase and opening stock I thought they already calculate COGS before the calculation of ending stock because ending stock will come only after the calculation of opening stock and purchase that's why they did not ask COGS in question.  

Cost of goods sold only need in Inventory turnover formula, but we can another formula for inventory turnover ratio 

There is another way for inventory turnover ratio actual sales divided by average receivables or average inventory.

Inventory turnover ratio = COGS                     or)           Actual Sales

Average inventory                          Average receivables

First, we need to subtract 10% cash sales from net sales to get the actual sales then divide by average receivable for inventory turnover ratio.

Year 2                                                                                    Year 3

Net sales (1200*100)         120,000                                   Net sales 150,000 (1200*125)             150,000

(-) 10% cash sales                      12000                                            - 10% cash sales                           15000    

Actual sales                      108,000                                         Actual sales                                   135,000                             

Inventory turnover ratio =          108000                                          Inventory turnover ratio =          135,000                                                         

12000                                                                                               14,400

= 9                                                                                                 =9.375

I hope you understand if there is anything let me know.

[Shaik] [Sumair] [Receivable Accountant]
    [Receivable Accountant ]
    [Printech Middle East LLC]
    [Dubai]
    [United Arab emirates][shaiksumair7076@...]

• 5.  RE: PART 2 INV TURNOVER RATIO

Posted 09-29-2022 11:11 PM
    You make a good point, i totally  agree with you.

Yongkang Niu
    Director/Manager
    Beijing
    China

• 6.  RE: PART 2 INV TURNOVER RATIO

Posted 09-30-2022 03:50 PM
    Dear Sumair,

As you sad so, its impossible to solve this question by using COGS data, thank you so much I didnt know the new formula for INV turnover..

TIMUCIN ONER
    Director/Manager
    ANTALYA
    Turkey

• 7.  RE: PART 2 INV TURNOVER RATIO

Posted 10-01-2022 04:32 AM
    Hello Sumair

You mean actual sales = Credit Sales ?

Why 10% deduction  from total sales?

Thanks & regards

Sudhir

• 8.  RE: PART 2 INV TURNOVER RATIO

Posted 10-01-2022 05:07 AM

Dear Sudhir

Yes the sales is credit sales that's why we need substract given cash sales 10%.

Thanks & Regards

Sumair Shaik

Accountant

Dubai (U.A.E)

Sent from Mail for Windows

• 9.  RE: PART 2 INV TURNOVER RATIO

Posted 10-01-2022 06:43 AM
    Thanks a lot Sumair.

Have a nice day....!

Regards

Sudhir

• 10.  RE: PART 2 INV TURNOVER RATIO

Posted 10-01-2022 01:48 PM
    Hey, 

I think the correct answer is 12 for year 2 and year 3 but I would highly recommend that you check this answer in your review course. 

$50 given in question is actually the cost of inventory and if you multiply 50 with the goods sold (1200 x 50) you get $60,000 which is your COGS. average inventory is $5,000. (50x100) + (50x100) /2. Year 2 and Year 3 data are almost same so for both answer is 12. 

The other method pointed out by @Sumair Shaik is correct but I believe that would've been used if the question stem had said that the company uses cost plus markup. since the question does not say that we cannot assume that. If anybody else can confirm this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.​

Akash Daniel
    Illinois
    USA