Ask the Accounting Community

View Only

No jobs after CMA

• 1.  No jobs after CMA

Posted 10 days ago
    Hi everyone, 

I'm a 21 year old CMA. I'm from Bangalore, India. Even after clearing my CMA I'm not able to land in a good job. 

I feel I'm not getting what I wanted even after putting all the efforts for clearing CMA. 
    All the jobs in IMA portal is for experienced people. 

So what should I do now?
    Someone please guide me.

• 2.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 10 days ago

Dear Preetham,

CMA/CA/ACCA all these are additional certification courses,they provide their certificate after we complete the course.They do not promise job in their C/O .

But finance job market is well aware about these courses so they will give consideration if we are certified.

Job requirements set by Employer even needed experience that is being posted in IMA site.

But there will job offers for inexperienced professionals too 

More over unemployment rate in country is very high now,that is also effecting

I recommend to follow all the channel to find a job not just IMA and apply for all suitable vacancies ,accept almost suitable one Later By professional experience you can grow enough in you career. Hope you will get a good one very soon

Best of luck

Abdul...

------------------------------
    Abdul Kunnam Padath
    Accountant

• 3.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 9 days ago
    Dear all,

Even if you are experienced also, CMA certification is less demanded in the industry. Right now I am looking for a job change. It is very difficult to find a job with a requirement of CMA designation. I had searched everywhere for IMA job portals, Linkedin, Naukri, Indeed & MNC's company websites. It does not give a positive result. 
    All the required qualifications I am seeing are CA/CPA. I think our institute needs to contribute to solve the issue. As per my knowledge the majority of companies aren't aware about CMA (Certified Management Accountant). We all are entered into the course because the course curriculum is quite challenging and professional. 
    After completing the two exams, and gaining required experience we are rewarded with CMA Certification. IMA Institute needs to take good actions to determine whether all candidates who are certified are placed for the job or not. 

Congratulations to all who pass the exam.
    All the best to all who are going to attend the exam.

WITH REGARDS,

SARUN PORATHUR SIMON

• 4.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 8 days ago

Hi All,

Despite my experience, I've encountered similar challenges with the CMA certification. Currently in the midst of a job search, I've scoured various platforms-IMA job portals, LinkedIn, Naukri, Indeed, and even MNC company websites-with little success in finding opportunities that specifically require CMA designation. Instead, it seems like the market heavily favors candidates with CA/CPA qualifications.

It's disheartening that despite the rigorous curriculum and professional nature of the CMA course, many companies remain unaware of its value. While completing the two exams and gaining requisite experience should ideally lead to CMA certification, the reality is far from promising. It's evident that the IMA Institute needs to take proactive steps to ensure that certified candidates are adequately placed in jobs.

I share the sentiment that the CMA certification doesn't hold the same weight in the job market as CPA, CFA, or CA qualifications, despite how it's marketed. It's becoming increasingly clear that there's a gap between the perception and the reality of the demand for CMA-certified professionals. 

Additionally, the issue extends beyond just the US market; even in the UAE, the CMA certification doesn't seem to carry much weight. It's disheartening to find that regardless of geographical location, the recognition and demand for CMA certification remain consistently low. It seems that across borders, the sentiment is the same-CA/CPA qualifications reign supreme, while CMAs are often overlooked.

This underscores the broader issue that needs addressing by the IMA Institute. Simply obtaining the CMA designation shouldn't be a dead end in terms of career prospects. There's a pressing need for the institute to bridge the gap between certification and employability, ensuring that CMAs are valued and sought after in diverse global markets.

Ajinkya Dhabe CMA
    Analyst
    Nagpur
    India

• 5.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 8 days ago

We can not compare CPA and CMA ,yes CPA has more value than CMA

IMA do more campaign about CMA with companies, is a valid point you said and agreed.

But in Middle east i see job opening for CMA certified candidate, Qualification required like CMA/ACCA/CPA or any equal 

Actually we need to get a job after post graduation in finance ,coz that knowledge is enough to preform the accountant job in entry level later by training and experience we will be a good senior finance professional .But due to high unemployment rate in country we are unbale to find a job in this qualification easily( But few candidate gets).

CA/CPA/CMA is not easy to pass as our post graduate program ,so pass rate will be less here ,so passed candidate get additional knowledge and certification. While companies post job qualification CMA then number applications will be less than post graduate qualification. But If industry give preference to CA/CPA means they are getting enough candidate with that qualification which is higher than CMA and again job openings are less due some reason 

Abdul Kunnam Padath
    Accountant

• 6.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 8 days ago

Hello everyone,

I agree with Mr. Dhabe and the rest who shared their experience regarding the challenges faced even after CMA qualification because I'm on the same boat.

Earlier this month I became a qualified CMA after clearing Part 2, and have been looking for a job ever since, through multiple job portals and company job boards, to get those two years of work experience in order to get certified. I am from India and despite looking for jobs all over the country and not just in my city, I have not had any luck. As already mentioned by the others, most of these jobs are looking for a qualified CPA/CA/CFA or even Enrolled Agent, but never a CMA. It's especially disheartening when you have already put in so much of work, efforts and time to clear two challenging exams and hone your skills hoping to accelerate your career. I have three years of work experience but in a non-accounting domain, so finding a relevant job is extremely crucial for me at this stage. My primary reason to pursue CMA was to switch to accounting and finance domain, however, it seems like my skills are not getting recognised as I do not have a CPA tag. 

Kindly advise on what course of action I should take and what profiles to target to increase my chances of landing a job. My personal email ID is koushanibhattacharya7@... , in case you have any openings in your organisations or any available for me, please let me know. Your valuable inputs are highly appreciated. 

I also want to request the IMA to provide better opportunities and bridge this huge gap in terms of recognition and job opportunities, which the CMAs have with their counterparts. This is an earnest request. Hoping for a better future. 

Koushani Bhattacharya
    Other
    Kolkata
    India

• 7.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 7 days ago

Congratulation You have passes CMA ,adn hope you will get a good job very soon

I am adding your email if any suitable vacancy see i will update you

CMA qualification can not compare with CPA,yes CPA is more valid than CMA

IMA to provide better opportunities and bridge this huge gap in terms of recognition and job opportunities yes it correct.

Actually to perform Accountant  job even Post graduation qualification is enough with training and experience can be a senior level finance professional

In country unemployment is very high so there is enough candidates with Post graduate qualification for a job so We do certification course in addition to that to get more chances to be appointed.

If minimum required qualification is CA/CPA means they are getting those candidates for the finance post and job opening might be less so to reduce application add these qualifications.

Still you will get a good job...

Abdul Kunnam Padath
    Accountant

• 8.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi Koushani Bhattacharya, be patient. Your education is priceless. Never discredit it. You have 7 years to acquire your work experience. I would recommend that you accept a job doing basic accounting work until you build enough experience to be considered for a position in management as an accountant. All the best in your job hunt.

• 9.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi Ajinkya,

I really appreciate your feedback with the CMA certification. I'm experiencing the same while I am looking for a new job. I am not seeing anything that requires or prefers a CMA, I am just seeing CPA preferred. 

I failed my first attempt at the part 1 exam and am not very motivated anymore to continue pursuing the CMA certification.

And it's not only the market seeking CPA and rather than CMA, but I studied everyday for the recommended amount of time and when it came time to sit for the exam, it was extremely difficult and nothing like the practice MCQ's. It was extremely disheartening after putting so much time and effort into it with my full time job. 

Alyssa Beck

Florida 

• 10.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 7 days ago

Don't despair. As a recruiter I've found it is favored over CPA in manufacturing companies. Try those.

Patricia Mayer CMA, CPA
    Chief Executive Officer
    Patricia J Mayer & Assoc LLC
    Martinez CA
    United States

• 11.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi all- I am also facing the same struggle.. Especially, if someone pursuing from India. There's a lot financial pressure while pursuing the course and no job after that is disheartening. Now, I just settled for a less profile even after completing the course as I need the job. IMA must do something for this otherwise, no point in pursuing it. Thanks, Niraimathi 

• 12.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 7 days ago

Hi, 

The knowledge that we have as CMA holders is very good. It teaches us about all aspects of finance and accounting. And indeed it's very difficult to crack the CMA exam.

I am a university degree holder and completed my CMA too at the age of 21. I completed this course thinking that I can get into good job profiles at a young age. Since, it's a US course many people in India think that it has more weightage and scope all over the world. 

CMA coaching providers also tell that they will assist us in placements and provide 100% placement assistance. But after completing the course they just tell that you should wait for openings. 

Now I'm working and I'm earning the same as other University graduates. CMA is not making me to stand apart from the crowd. 

I have all the knowledge gained from CMA but not able to find a good platform to showcase the skills that CMA had given me. 

If anyone comes across any job opportunity please let me know. 

My email: preethamgowda213@... 

Thank you.

Preetham Gowda, CMA
    Bangalore
    India

• 13.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 7 days ago

The passage of such a rigorous accounting exam shows determination on the candidate's side plus the retention of accounting knowledge that can aid any company.

Years ago after I passed it and was interviewing for new jobs I brought in as many examples of my CMA knowledge when questioned by interviewer. Back then activity based costing was a new concept and I remember saying something like "although I haven't worked in your industry before I imagine the successful candidate needs to know blah blah blah,..........and then i recited a lot of relevant factors to their organization. It worked, I went from not for profit to a for profit industry. One has to sell themselves when given the chance yet not overdo it nor talk too much. Look for your openings and have concise responses and ability to cite examples.

Patricia Mayer CMA, CPA
    Chief Executive Officer
    Patricia J Mayer & Assoc LLC
    Martinez CA
    United States

• 14.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 7 days ago

Hi. I disagree that the CMA holds no value for employability. You simply must keep applying to a variety of positions. Also, when you are invited for an interview, you must sell yourself better than the other candidates. Companies are not only looking for education, but also additional criterias.

In the global market, the CMA is rated as the 2nd highest after the CPA. Be patient.

Shaneiker Andrews
    Other
    New Providence
    Bahamas

• 15.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 8 days ago
    Always been a problem.

Sledge
    Douglas A. Sledge, CPA Management Accountant
    Douglas A. Sledge, CPA, CGMA. CMA. MBA
    Certified Advanced QBO QuickBooks ProAdvisor
    256-443-1624

Plan, Organize, Implement, Control.

• 16.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 10 days ago

Hi Preetham,

Congratulations on passing the CMA exam!   Here's a few suggestions as you begin your job search:

• If you haven't done so already, create an account on the IMA Career Center/Job Board and upload your resume.  Then you can set up one or more Job Alerts for different roles
    • Consider looking for internships to help gain experience
    • Consider volunteering at a nonprofit to help gain experience  
    • Consider applying to positions that don't require a CMA but write a cover letter that describes your CMA skills and how they fit with the position you are applying for.
    • Continue to check the IMA Career Center/Job Board as it is continually updated with new jobs.

Good Luck!

Theresa Mormile
    Director/Manager
    Montvale NJ
    United StatesDirector/Manager

• 17.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 5 days ago

Hi Preetham,

Yes, the CMA does have less recognition than CPA or other certifications.

Since employers are typically less aware of the CMA and its value, you should be prepared to market yourself and the credential more directly.

You may need to explain the contents and requirements of the CMA program and show how your qualification can benefit the employer you are applying to.

A cover letter is a great place to do this.

Also, a job may often be advertised as requiring a CPA/CA/ACCA when the actual day-today duties of the job may be better served by a CMA. You can go through the job description line by line and point out to an employer how the CMA would actually benefit them more than a CPA or other credential. It just requires a little more critical thinking and self-promotion on your part.

Just some thoughts. Good luck on the job search!

William Holmes CMA
    Analyst
    Pataskala OH
    United States

• 18.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 5 days ago
    Good Day,
    It has been/is my opinion the base problem with CMA recognition is professional interaction ownership.  The CPA is given, by law and code, attestation and review rights such as: opinions, reviews, audits, compilations, certifications, etc.    

I have suggested for some time that the ICMA develop an analysis, or some such action, to take ownership and administration of, while setting standards for related professional work..   Yes, an Analysis, to differentiate it from designated CPA rights. The analysis could be directed toward: budgets, projections, and internal reporting of  customers of Banks and other financial institutions looking for financing.  The analysis would provide an added assurance to bank officials as to the valididty of loan qualification supporting documents. Recently, legal issues are being scrutinized as to correct asset valuation by loan seekers.  The CMA would be designated in the ICMA standards as the professional authorized to develop and approve such an analysis.

Sledge
    Douglas A. Sledge, CPA Management Accountant
    Douglas A. Sledge, CPA, CGMA. CMA. MBA
    Certified Advanced QBO QuickBooks ProAdvisor
    256-443-1624

Plan, Organize, Implement, Control.

• 19.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 4 days ago

Hello Preetham

As others suggested, CMA candidate helps organization in day to day accounting & finance need and to the strategic side with the advance level involvement with management. And you just stated your carreer so you will get many opportunities to gain experince and enhanced to the advance level which helps you land your dream job. Networking is also helps where you can show your telent by involving some insightful discussion.  

Try hard and focus on self motivation.  

Good luck in your job search 

Vaishali Patel CMA,CFE
    Finance Manager
    Scranton PA
    United States

• 20.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 3 days ago

I agree the CMA has less recognition in the market due to the large CPA membership and the often laziness of HR departments to do proper research on what is needed for a particular job. Often you can see that the job functions align extremely well with the CMA content for a senior accountant or controller position. 

It is up to the candidate to properly present their skillset and make the hiring manager aware of the value of the CMA credential. Regarding some members' experiences, I doubt that any credential alone is going to get you a well paid position or advancement. You still have to build your experience and sell yourself. Even a CPA or CA without several years of progressive financial experience is going to get you a senior level position.

Gunter Wallner CMA, CIA
    Director/Manager

• 21.  RE: No jobs after CMA

Posted 5 days ago

You should search widely in various job opportunity sites. When they say CA/CPA preferred, apply and note your CMA. If CA/CPA is stated as required, apply anyway if you can, and note your CMA. Make sure that you cite CMA in your resume, including at the top (heading).

Paul Kimmel CPA
    Unemployed
    Las Vegas NV
    United States