Ask the Accounting Community

View Only
  • 1.  Nonprofit Looking for CMA Volunteer to Help Us Become 501(c)3

Posted 03-26-2024 05:35 PM
    Hello CMAs,

My name is Paul Piwko, and I am a CMA and cofounder of the National Museum of Mental Health Project, Inc. a nonprofit that is incorporated in Massachusetts. We are seeking volunteer help to obtain 501(c)3 status. If you are a CMA, and interested, please send me an email at ppiwko@...

For more about NMMHP and our mission, please see this 2023 article we were invited to write by the American Alliance of MuseumsThank you for your consideration. Be well.

Paul Piwko

• 2.  RE: Nonprofit Looking for CMA Volunteer to Help Us Become 501(c)3

Posted 30 days ago

Hi Paul - I was on the Board of a non-profit a number of years ago. If I remember correctly, we used an attorney for the filings. Also if I remember correctly, there are federal and state filings that need to be completed. When we did the annual 990's for tax purposes we used a small CPA firm. I think if you check around your local area, you should be able to find a small law firm that has experience with non-profits. If you can find a couple small law firms you could get quotes from each one of what it would take. Also, many of the large law firms do pro-bono work, and they may be willing to help you out at a reduced cost.

I hope that this is useful information.

------------------------------
    Ronald DiMattia CMA, CPA
    Executive Officer
    Corporate Value Partners Inc
    Cleveland OH
    United States
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Nonprofit Looking for CMA Volunteer to Help Us Become 501(c)3

Posted 30 days ago
    Hi Ronald,

Thank you so much for your helpful response and for your collegiality. Be well.

Paul