Ask the Accounting Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Inquiry Regarding Conversion of CMA to CPA or its Equivalence in Canada

• 1.  Inquiry Regarding Conversion of CMA to CPA or its Equivalence in Canada

Posted 08-07-2023 01:15 AM
    Dear IMA Support Team,

I hope this email finds you well.

My name is Qutaiba Alwaer/ID No.000010637557and I am currently a Certified Management Accountant (CMA) in good standing. I recently moved to Canada and I am keen to understand how my certification could benefit me in the Canadian job market. Specifically, I am interested in exploring if my CMA can be converted to a Canadian certification, such as the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.

Given IMA's wealth of knowledge and experience in accounting certifications across different geographical markets, I am hopeful that you would be able to provide me with valuable insights. Is there a pathway or process through which my current certification can be recognized or converted into a CPA or equivalent in Canada? If so, what would the process entail? And if not, how can my CMA still be leveraged effectively in the Canadian job market?

I understand that this may require a detailed response, and I appreciate your time and effort in providing clarity on this matter. Please feel free to point me in the direction of any resources or contacts that may also assist in addressing these questions.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,
    Qutaiba Alwaer
    00 1 (778) 848-3407

• 2.  RE: Inquiry Regarding Conversion of CMA to CPA or its Equivalence in Canada

Posted 11-29-2023 05:21 PM

There is no mutual recognition agreement, however, there is a fast track option for IMA CMA members to get the Canadian CPA as IMA CMA is an IFAC recognized professional accounting association. Below is the link.

https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/become-a-cpa/international-credential-recognition/members-of-ifac-member-bodies

You'll have to write some of the Canadian CPA exams which should not be too difficult as the CPA does not cover any material you have not already studied through your degree and CMA. The CPA is very expensive in Canada as it has the monopoly unfortunately but the credential does help immensely in the Canadian market.

------------------------------
    Gunter Wallner CMA, CIA
    Director/Manager
    ------------------------------